Friday, September 01, 2006

Mockingbird

My iPod is rocking today—I downloaded Mockingbird by Derek Webb early this morning. It's a great album. And, by the way, it's free! It's more than worth the download.

Webb's music inspires much critical thought, as always. I'm particularly intrigued by the song he calls "A Consistent Ethic of Human Life," which is a 24-second track with horns, bells, strings, and a short melody. No words. Not quite sure what he's trying to communicate here yet...

Another track hit me like a ton of bricks. It's an excellent song, my favorite of the CD at this point, called "A New Law." In the song, he indicts the problem that is a large portion of the scar tissue on my heart:
don’t teach me how to live like a free man
just give me a new law

i don’t wanna know if the answers aren’t easy
so just bring it down from the mountain to me

i want a new law

don’t teach me about moderation and liberty
i prefer a shot of grape juice

don’t teach me how to listen to the Spirit
just give me a new law
I want to quote the whole song it's so good, but that wouldn't quite be fair. You'll have to go listen to it yourself.

Musically, I like "I Hate Everything (But You)" best. Has a Fleetwood Mac bass line feel.

Now go download. I'm going to go do some mass balance problems.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got "your" reminder email this morning and I downloaded it right away. I have listened to it all the way through twice already. I love his voice. I love his writing.

I especially like "I Hate Everything (But You)". The groove, the sing-along melody, the silly bells, and the horns. It seems Derek has been listening to "Pet Sounds" quite a bit.

His writing has definitely departed from the four chord Caedmon's Call era, for the good in my book. And Derek's put his money where his mouth is; a free offering of his album to raise awareness for the causes he sees as an extension of the Kingdom.

At his recommendation, I did support BloodWater Mission today.

3:50 PM, September 01, 2006  
Blogger Jeffrey J. Stables said...

In keeping with the spirit of Derek's offer, here's a link to Blood:Water Mission in case anyone else feels led to contribute. (You'll get the link when you download, too.)

4:23 PM, September 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steven Taylor did. He wrote a song called "Baby Doe" about 20 years ago in response to the euthanizing of the Indiana baby who was born with Down's Syndrome. It is one of the most powerful songs I have ever heard lyrically speaking. You can down load it from iTunes.

6:15 AM, September 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeffrey,

Here's the secret to "A Consistent Ethic of Human Life": Look at the title of the last song ("Love is Not Against the Law"). Now, listen to the last 24 seconds of it.

I'd been listening to it for several months before I realized what it meant.

3:42 PM, September 07, 2006  

Post a Comment |

<< Home