Friday, May 19, 2006

Please pray

Actually, pray and let me know what you think.

I'm looking for summer work to save up cash for the fall semester at Georgia Tech. I talked to Demetrio down here at Tech today, and here's the deal: I can work for the group and participate in a special undergrad research conference that's going on over the summer. Big deal stuff...students coming in from all over for the conference. And a lot of projects and papers and presentations—good experience and resume stuff. It's actually very exciting with all that's involved—on top of any work I'd be doing with the group. Thing is, the money is handled as a lump sum for the whole summer. The schedule is flexible (with the exception of paper and presentation deadlines, and seminar dates) and includes a lot of special events and some ability to work at home.

I had an interview with a company that sells specialty electrical cables on Wednesday. The job there is an office job: paperwork, computers, etc. Essentially an intern's work. Thing is, I can make around $2000 more for the summer if I work at this company. That's an 8-5, five days schedule. (Both jobs allow for my vacation dates.)

So I've got to figure out if all the experience and participation and projects and opportunities to get papers published and get scholarships and work at Tech (in my field) are worth less cash-in-my-pocket going into the fall semester. Based purely on emotions, I have a bad feeling about the cable company and a good feeling about working here. And I've got the weekend to figure it out. Please pray for my decision-making and give me any thoughts you may have. This decision is very important to me.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will do.

All things being equal, the real question is: could you purchase the experience you will gain in the challenging job for the $2,000 you would earn in the office job?

I say take the challenging job. You'll have plenty of opportunities to make decisions based on financial considerations when (Lord willing) you're married and have kids.

Besides, $2,000 is chump change. But assuming you need it -- do you suppose you can find a way to make $40 a week for a year?

This kind of choice is what I miss about being in college. Don't squander it.

11:52 AM, May 19, 2006  
Blogger Jeffrey J. Stables said...

Well, I took the work at Tech today. I've got the first conference meeting at 9am tomorrow!

1:12 PM, May 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh where, oh where has jeffrey gone?

11:20 PM, May 28, 2006  

Post a Comment |

<< Home