Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Who I Am

Who is it that can tell me who I am?
King Lear, Act I Scene IV
It's strange how my perception of myself can get so clouded sometimes. Right now, I'm tracking pretty well in school, the weather's great (so I can do what I want to do), I've been able to spend a lot of time with Abi...things are going well. So, I tend to view myself as pretty okay. But I know that if I keep on going with that attitude, I'll fall soon enough and realize that I wasn't depending on God like I should have been. It's a cycle, for sure, but one that I hope I'm out of for a while here.

Anyway, the point of this post.... (I was actually going to post this Monday night, but haven't had any time until now.) This Saturday, I was in North Carolina with Abi's family. I met a bunch of people on her dad's side that I hadn't met yet, and one (Steve) asked me at one point to tell about myself. I ran down a short list of what I thought was interesting (work, school, music...). What's more interesting is what didn't even occur to me until I replayed it in my mind Sunday night: I didn't even mention that I am a follower of Christ. Why? I was assuming like company, I suppose, but even so, there would be no need not to mention it (in fact, it would have been good to mention even if I knew everyone present was a Christian). It honestly didn't strike me to say anything whatsoever about it. I know that's not good, and it really woke me up to what I think of my life--am I really measuring who I am by what I've done or how well life's going? I have a tendency to do so. I know that's dangerous, and I am praying that I will become more honest with myself and more dependent on God as the essential part of my life.

Who am I? A sinner saved by grace and trying to follow Christ in everything...and I mean everything. Lord knows I need grace for that, too!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

very very good post...hmm thats true...i dont think i mention that either.

10:56 AM, April 06, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmhm. i've had situations like that; and in retrospect, it's sad that we all forget so easily that we are truly and only sinners saved by grace. excellent point jeffery.
-Kev
nonameface88@gmail.com

2:13 PM, April 13, 2005  

Post a Comment |

<< Home