Thursday, October 27, 2005

A Partay!

So, dear reader, it's been a while since I've posted anything that approximates the personal qualities of a "blog," so I thought I'd give you an update on my life (okay, and Abi wanted me to post again, too ).

I'm doing okay in school, not having had enough time to properly apply myself over the past month. But I'm catching up in all those classes, and doing sufficiently well. (Physics is getting more fun these days, too.) As far as work, I've been making great progress on my projects, especially the upgrade and gerrymandering of our time & billing software from a Windows 95 machine to one of our XP workstations.

Well that's all for work, or it will be all...because I will be leaving my current job soon! It's kind of weird to think that I've been working for Mike for two years and a month. But my organic chemistry professor told me a couple of weeks ago about the AURA program. I checked it out online and talked to a few chemistry people at GPC and Emory. Then one Friday I went down to Georgia Tech to interview with Dr. Jean-Luc Bredas, a professor of chemistry and biochemistry at Tech. He agreed to accept me into his research team through AURA (here's how that works). He does research in organic electronics and the optics of polymers. Most of the research is computational: developing computer models, solving the Schrödinger equation, and analyzing experimental results from colleagues. It's exactly the kind of work I've been looking for to get me jump-started into chemical engineering--plus, I'll work with and know a professor from Georgia Tech before I transfer there next fall (2006). So, I start the new job on November 2nd. Pat Dirrim has expressed to me that leaving at 7am might be advisable to get down to Tech in decent time on the mornings I work...I'll have to see how real Atlanta traffic treats me.

I find it interesting how I found this job. I mean, it's perfect: where I want to be, what I want to do, and when I'm just getting geared up into organic chemistry. I tried so hard earlier this year, looking for a job, and God closed every door I found. (I even had an all-summer job at Fuji doing IT installation and support if I had just said the word...but they wanted full-time, and I was still talking classes over the summer.) And then, once I gave up and stuck with the job I had and started school again, this just popped up one morning in organic chemistry class. And I wasn't even looking anymore! I think I showed my initiative earlier this year, and I do believe God rewarded that with this opporunity. And He did it in a way that I can't take any credit for...it's all Him! Isn't it great that He works that way? For one thing, I'm glad He's got it under control; and for another, I know for sure it's what He wants me to do.

Thank you to all who left me birthday comments, sent cards and emails, and posted on my facebook. It was, indeed, a happy birthday. (Happy birthday to you, too! hehe...) Don't forget to tell Abi happy birthday, too, next month!

That's about all that's going on in my life. Abi's still at TMC, and we're both very busy...it's strange to go two weeks with only talking online and on the phone, in between school and homework. But we're doing alright.

Okay, kids, time to wrap this one up (as I've tried to do for about three paragraphs now). Oh, and I'm planning a Star Wars marathon party on November 5th (Episode III comes out November 1st). It'll be an all-day Saturday event at my house, watching all six movies in a row. Keep it here for more information as it becomes available! (And, as JJ would say, BEEEEEEEEEEE THERRRRRRRRRRRRE!)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How could you not jump at a job working for a guy named Jean-Luc!?

But I have to disagree with Pat. 7:00 is way too late. My experience with GA400 is that every minute you delay past 6:00 delays your arrival by two minutes...

2:11 PM, October 27, 2005  
Blogger Jeffrey J. Stables said...

I know! It clinched it for me when I said I would email him and he replied "Make it so." :-p

True...I suppose you Fulton county people have that problem. But I'm in Duluth, so I take I-85S straight down from Pleasant Hill Rd.

2:13 PM, October 27, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very well, Number One.

Plot a course for Spaghetti Junction.

Engage.

5:18 PM, October 27, 2005  
Blogger Jeffrey J. Stables said...

Aye, aye -- laying in course now.

But Captain, those coordinates will take us to the Neutral Zone!

5:33 PM, October 27, 2005  

Post a Comment |

<< Home